- Professor Jeff Collin
- Professor of Global Health Policy
School of Social and Political Science
University of Edinburgh
- 1.10 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)131 651 3961
Jeff Collin is Professor of Global Health Policy at the University of Edinburgh. A political scientist by background, he previously worked at the London school of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Moving to Edinburgh in 2005, he established a suite of MSc programmes in health policy, joining the School of Social & Political Science in 2010 when the Global Public Health Unit was created within Social Policy..
Jeff's research interests focus on health policy and global health governance, with a particular emphasis on the role of the commercial sector. He has a particular interest in unhealthy commodity industries, with extensive research experience in examining how tobacco companies have sought to shape public policy, with a growing programme of work also examining the alcohol and ultra-processed food industries. He has been a member of WHO expert groups on tobacco industry influence on policy, is a member of the Tobacco Advisory Group of Cancer Research UK, a co-investigator in the UK Centre on Tobacco and Alcohol Studies, and an expert advisor for the Institute of Alcohol Studies.
- Collin J, Hill SE, Eltanani MK, Plotnikova E, Ralston R, Smith KE (2017). Can public health reconcile profits and pandemics? An analysis of attitudes to commercial sector engagement in health policy and research. PloS One 12(9): e0182612.
- Weishaar H, Collin J, Amos A. (2016) Tobacco control and health advocacy in the European Union: understanding effective coalition-building. Nicotine and Tobacco Research 18(2): 122-129. doi:10.1093/ntr/ntv016
- Collin J, Hill S (2016). Industrial epidemics and inequalities: The commercial sector as a structural driver of inequalities in non-communicable diseases. In Smith K, Hill S, Bambra C (Eds). Health Inequalities: Critical Perspectives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Collin J, Hill SE, Smith KE. (2015). Merging alcohol giants threaten global health. BMJ 351: h6087.
- Shortt NK, Tisch C, Pearce J, Mitchell R, Richardson EA, Hill S, Collin J. (2015). A cross-sectional analysis of the relationship between tobacco and alcohol outlet density and neighbourhood deprivation. BMC Public Health 15(1): 1014.
- Hogg S, Hill SE, Collin J. (2015) State-ownership of tobacco industry: a ‘fundamental conflict of interest’ or a ‘tremendous opportunity’ for tobacco control? Tobacco Control doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-052114
- Smith KE, Fooks G, Gilmore AB, Collin J, Weishaar H (2015). Corporate coalitions and policy making in the European Union: How and why British American Tobacco promoted ‘Better Regulation’. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 40: 325-372.
- Weishaar H, Amos A, Collin J (2015). Capturing complexity: mixing methods in the analysis of a European tobacco control policy network. International Journal of Social Research Methodology 18: 175-192
- Weishaar H, Amos A, Collin J. (2015) Best of enemies: using social network analysis to explore a policy network in European smoke-free policy. Social Science and Medicine 133: 85-92. (doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.03.045)
- Weishaar H, Amos A, Collin J (2015). Unpacking commercial sector opposition to European smoke-free policy: lack of unity, ‘fear of association’ and harm reduction debates. Tobacco Control doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-052007
- Hill S, Collin J (2016). Epidemics, industries and inequalities: The commercial sector as a structural driver of inequalities in non-communicable diseases. Ch 13 in: Smith K, Bambra C, Hill S (eds). Health Inequalities: Critical Perspectives. Oxford University Press.
- Collin J, Johnson E, Hill S (2014). Government support for alcohol industry: promoting exports, jeopardising global health? BMJ 348:g3648
- Hawkins B, Collin J (2015). Globalisation, commercialisation and the tobacco and alcohol sectors. Ch. P. In Hanefeld J (ed) Global Change and Health. Open University Press. 2nd edition.
- Fooks G, Gilmore, A, Collin J, Holden C, Lee K (2013). The limits of corporate social responsibility: techniques of neutralization, stakeholder management and political CSR. Journal of Business Ethics 112(2): 283-299.
- Collin J, Hill S. (2013). Corporate involvement in public health policy is being obscured. BMJ 346: f3429.
- Clifford D, Hill S, Collin J (2013). Seeking out ‘easy targets’? Tobacco companies, health inequalities and public policy. Tobacco Control doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051050
- Collin J (2012) The Case against a Smoker's License. PLoS Med 9(11): e1001343. http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1001343
- Plotnikova E, Hill SE, Collin J (2012) The ‘diverse, dynamic new world of global tobacco control?’ an analysis of participation in the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Tobacco Control doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050849
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2012) “Trade policy, not morals or health policy”: the United States tobacco industry and trade liberalisation in Thailand. Global Social Policy 12(2) 149-172, doi: 10.1177/1468018112443686
- Collin J (2012), 'The Case against a Smoker's License'. PLoS Med, 9 (11): e1001343, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001343.
- Collin J (2012), 'Tobacco control, global health policy and development: Towards policy coherence in global governance'. Tobacco Control, 21: 274-280, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050418.
- Grüning T, Weishaar H, Collin J. and Gilmore A. (2012), 'Tobacco industry attempts to influence and use the German government to undermine the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Tobacco Control, 21 (1): 30-38, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.042093.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2012), ''Trade policy, not morals or health policy': the United States tobacco industry and trade liberalisation in Thailand', Global Social Policy, 12 (2):149-172, doi:10.1177/1468018112443686.
- Plotnikova E, Hill SE, Collin J (2012), 'The 'diverse, dynamic new world of global tobacco control'? an analysis of participation in the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Tobacco Control 23(2):126-132, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050849.
- Weishaar H, Collin J, Smith EA, Grüning T, Mandal S, Gilmore A (2012), 'Global Health Governance and the Commercial Sector: A Documentary Analysis of Tobacco Company Strategies to Influence the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', PLoS Medicine, 9 (6): e1001249, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001249.
- Fooks GJ, Gilmore AB, Collin J, Holden C and Kelly L (2011), 'Corporate social responsibility and access to policy elites: an analysis of tobacco industry documents'. PLoS Medicine, 8 (8): e1001076, doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001076.
- Gilmore AB, Savell E and Collin J (2011), 'Public health, corporations and the New Responsibility Deal: promoting partnerships with vectors of disease?', Journal of Public Health, 33 (1): 2-4, doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdr008.
- Burch T, Wander N, Collin J (2010), 'Uneasy money: the Instituto Carlos Slim de la Salud and conflict of interest in global health', Tobacco Control, 19:e1-e9, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.038307.
- Collin J (2010), 'Global health, equity and the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Global Health Promotion, 17 (1 Suppl): 73-75, doi:10.1177/1757975909358363.
- Smith KE, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, Mandal S, Gilmore AB (2010) ''Working the System': British American Tobacco's Influence on the European Union Treaty and Its Implications for Policy: An Analysis of Internal Tobacco Industry Documents', PLoS Med, 7(1): e1000202, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000202.
- Smith K, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, Gilmore A, (2010), 'Is the increasing policy use of Impact Assessment in Europe likely to undermine efforts to achieve healthy public policy?', Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 64: 478-487, doi:10.1136/jech.2009.094300.
- Stanton C, Chu A, Collin J, Glantz S (2010), 'Promoting tobacco through the international language of dance music: British American Tobacco and the Ministry of Sound', European Journal of Public Health, 21 (1): 21-28, doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckq009 (main originator).
- Collin J, Lee K (2009), 'Globalization and the Politics of Health Governance: The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control'. In Cooper A, Kirton J (eds), Innovation in Global Health Governance: Critical Cases, Farnham: Ashgate, pp.219-241 (main originator).
- Patel P, Okechukwu CA, Collin J, Hughes B. (2009), 'Bringing 'Light, Life and Happiness': British American Tobacco and music sponsorship in sub-Saharan Africa', Third World Quarterly, 30(4): 685-700, doi:10.1080/01436590902867110 (main originator).
- Smith KE, Gilmore AB, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, (2009), 'Tobacco industry attempts to undermine Article 5.3 and the "good governance"', Tobacco Control, 18 (6): 509-511, doi:10.1136/tc.2009.032300.
- Lee K, Kinh HV, MacKenzie R, Gilmore A, Collin J (2008), 'Gaining access to Vietnam's cigarette market: British American Tobacco's strategy to enter 'a huge market which will become enormous'', Global Public Health, 3 (1): 1-27.
- LeGresley E, Lee, K, Muggli ME, Patel P, Collin J, and Hurt RD (2008),
'British American Tobacco and the "insidious impact of illicit trade" in cigarettes across Africa', Tobacco Control, 17(5): 339-346, doi:10.1136/tc.2008.025999.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2008), 'A Good Personal Scientific Relationship': Philip Morris Scientists and the Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok', PLoS Med, 5(12): e238, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050238.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2008), 'Philanthropy, politics and promotion - Philip Morris' "charitable contributions" in Thailand', Tobacco Control, 17(4): 284-285, doi:10.1136/tc.2008.024935.
- Collin J and Lee K (2007), 'Globalisation and public health policy'. In Scriven A and Garman S (eds.), Public health: Social context and action, Milton Keynes: Open University Press, p. 105-118.
- Gilmore A, Collin J, Townsend J (2007), 'Transnational tobacco company influence on taxation policy during privatization: the case of BAT in Uzbekistan', American Journal of Public Health, 97(11): 2001-9.
- Gilmore A, McKee M, Collin J (2007), 'The invisible hand: How British American Tobacco precluded competition in Uzbekistan', Tobacco Control, 16 (4): 239-247, doi:10.1136/tc.2006.017129.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J, and Sriwongcharoen K (2007), '"Thailand - Lighting up a Dark Market": British American Tobacco, sports sponsorship and the circumvention of legislation', J. Epidemiology and Community Health, 61: 28-33, doi:10.1136/jech.2005.042432 (main originator).
- Patel P, Collin J, Gilmore A. (2007), ''The law was actually drafted by us but the government is to be congratulated on its wise actions': British American Tobacco and public policy in Kenya', Tobacco Control, 16 (e1):1-9, doi:10.1136/tc.2006.016071 (main originator).
- Collin J (2005), 'Opening a Global Gold Mine: Globalization, Gender and Transnational Tobacco Companies'. In Kickbusch I, Hartwig K and List J (eds), Globalization, Women, and Health in the 21st Century, London: Palgrave, p. 201-218.
- Collin J (2005), 'The Global Economy and the Tobacco Pandemic'. In Lee K and Collin J (eds.), Global Change and Health, Milton Keynes: Open University Press, p. 111-125.
- Lee K and Collin J (eds.) (2005), Global Change and Health, Milton Keynes: Open University Press.
- Collin J (2005), Foreign Policy Case Studies: Tobacco Control, London: Nuffield Trust.
- Collin J (2004), 'Tobacco Politics', Development, 47(2): 91-96.
- Collin J and Lee K (2003), Globalisation & Transborder Health Risk in the EU. Case Studies in Tobacco Control and Population Mobility, London: The Nuffield Trust.
- Collin J (2003), 'Think Global, Smoke Local: Transnational tobacco companies and cognitive globalisation'. In Lee K (ed.), Health impacts of globalization: towards global governance, Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, p. 61-85.
- Collin J (2002), 'Globalisation, the Tobacco Industry and Policy Influence'. In Varma AK (ed.), Tobacco Counters Health, Vol 2: Proceedings of the 2nd World Assembly on Tobacco Counters Health, New Delhi: Macmillan India Ltd, p. 39-50.
* A full list of publications can be found here.