- Professor Jeff Collin
- Professor of Global Health Policy
- Social Policy, School of Social and Political Science
University of Edinburgh
2.10 Chrystal Macmillan Building
15a George Square
- +44 (0)131 651 3961
Jeff Collin is the director of the Global Public Health Unit. A political scientist by background, he was previously based at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
His research currently focuses on globalisation and tobacco control. Using corporate documents disclosed following litigation, this work analyses attempts by transnational tobacco companies to influence the public policy process, particularly in developing countries.
Additional research interests include developments in global health governance and the health impacts of population mobility and of trade liberalisation.
- Collin J (2012), 'The Case against a Smoker's License'. PLoS Med, 9 (11): e1001343, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001343.
- Collin J (2012), 'Tobacco control, global health policy and development: Towards policy coherence in global governance'. Tobacco Control, 21: 274-280, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050418.
- Grüning T, Weishaar H, Collin J. and Gilmore A. (2012), 'Tobacco industry attempts to influence and use the German government to undermine the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Tobacco Control, 21 (1): 30-38, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.042093.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2012), ''Trade policy, not morals or health policy': the United States tobacco industry and trade liberalisation in Thailand', Global Social Policy, 12 (2):149-172, doi:10.1177/1468018112443686.
- Plotnikova E, Hill SE, Collin J (2012), 'The 'diverse, dynamic new world of global tobacco control?' an analysis of participation in the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Tobacco Control, 00: 1-7, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050849.
- Weishaar H, Collin J, Smith EA, Grüning T, Mandal S, Gilmore A (2012), 'Global Health Governance and the Commercial Sector: A Documentary Analysis of Tobacco Company Strategies to Influence the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', PLoS Medicine, 9 (6): e1001249, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001249.
- Fooks GJ, Gilmore AB, Collin J, Holden C and Kelly L (2011), 'Corporate social responsibility and access to policy elites: an analysis of tobacco industry documents'. PLoS Medicine, 8 (8): e1001076, doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001076.
- Gilmore AB, Savell E and Collin J (2011), 'Public health, corporations and the New Responsibility Deal: promoting partnerships with vectors of disease?', Journal of Public Health, 33 (1): 2-4, doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdr008.
- Burch T, Wander N, Collin J (2010), 'Uneasy money: the Instituto Carlos Slim de la Salud and conflict of interest in global health', Tobacco Control, 19:e1-e9, doi:10.1136/tc.2010.038307.
- Collin J (2010), 'Global health, equity and the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control', Global Health Promotion, 17 (1 Suppl): 73-75, doi:10.1177/1757975909358363.
- Smith KE, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, Mandal S, Gilmore AB (2010) ''Working the System': British American Tobacco's Influence on the European Union Treaty and Its Implications for Policy: An Analysis of Internal Tobacco Industry Documents', PLoS Med, 7(1): e1000202, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000202.
- Smith K, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, Gilmore A, (2010), 'Is the increasing policy use of Impact Assessment in Europe likely to undermine efforts to achieve healthy public policy?', Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 64: 478-487, doi:10.1136/jech.2009.094300.
- Stanton C, Chu A, Collin J, Glantz S (2010), 'Promoting tobacco through the international language of dance music: British American Tobacco and the Ministry of Sound', European Journal of Public Health, 21 (1): 21-28, doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckq009 (main originator).
- Collin J, Lee K (2009), 'Globalization and the Politics of Health Governance: The Framework Convention on Tobacco Control'. In Cooper A, Kirton J (eds), Innovation in Global Health Governance: Critical Cases, Farnham: Ashgate, pp.219-241 (main originator).
- Patel P, Okechukwu CA, Collin J, Hughes B. (2009), 'Bringing 'Light, Life and Happiness': British American Tobacco and music sponsorship in sub-Saharan Africa', Third World Quarterly, 30(4): 685-700, doi:10.1080/01436590902867110 (main originator).
- Smith KE, Gilmore AB, Fooks G, Collin J, Weishaar H, (2009), 'Tobacco industry attempts to undermine Article 5.3 and the "good governance"', Tobacco Control, 18 (6): 509-511, doi:10.1136/tc.2009.032300.
- Lee K, Kinh HV, MacKenzie R, Gilmore A, Collin J (2008), 'Gaining access to Vietnam's cigarette market: British American Tobacco's strategy to enter 'a huge market which will become enormous'', Global Public Health, 3 (1): 1-27.
- LeGresley E, Lee, K, Muggli ME, Patel P, Collin J, and Hurt RD (2008),
'British American Tobacco and the "insidious impact of illicit trade" in cigarettes across Africa', Tobacco Control, 17(5): 339-346, doi:10.1136/tc.2008.025999.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2008), 'A Good Personal Scientific Relationship': Philip Morris Scientists and the Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok', PLoS Med, 5(12): e238, doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050238.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J (2008), 'Philanthropy, politics and promotion - Philip Morris' "charitable contributions" in Thailand', Tobacco Control, 17(4): 284-285, doi:10.1136/tc.2008.024935.
- Collin J and Lee K (2007), 'Globalisation and public health policy'. In Scriven A and Garman S (eds.), Public health: Social context and action, Milton Keynes: Open University Press, p. 105-118.
- Gilmore A, Collin J, Townsend J (2007), 'Transnational tobacco company influence on taxation policy during privatization: the case of BAT in Uzbekistan', American Journal of Public Health, 97(11): 2001-9.
- Gilmore A, McKee M, Collin J (2007), 'The invisible hand: How British American Tobacco precluded competition in Uzbekistan', Tobacco Control, 16 (4): 239-247, doi:10.1136/tc.2006.017129.
- MacKenzie R, Collin J, and Sriwongcharoen K (2007), '"Thailand - Lighting up a Dark Market": British American Tobacco, sports sponsorship and the circumvention of legislation', J. Epidemiology and Community Health, 61: 28-33, doi:10.1136/jech.2005.042432 (main originator).
- Patel P, Collin J, Gilmore A. (2007), ''The law was actually drafted by us but the government is to be congratulated on its wise actions': British American Tobacco and public policy in Kenya', Tobacco Control, 16 (e1):1-9, doi:10.1136/tc.2006.016071 (main originator).
- Collin J (2005), 'Opening a Global Gold Mine: Globalization, Gender and Transnational Tobacco Companies'. In Kickbusch I, Hartwig K and List J (eds), Globalization, Women, and Health in the 21st Century, London: Palgrave, p. 201-218.
- Collin J (2005), 'The Global Economy and the Tobacco Pandemic'. In Lee K and Collin J (eds.), Global Change and Health, Milton Keynes: Open University Press, p. 111-125.
- Lee K and Collin J (eds.) (2005), Global Change and Health, Milton Keynes: Open University Press.
- Collin J (2005), Foreign Policy Case Studies: Tobacco Control, London: Nuffield Trust.
- Collin J (2004), 'Tobacco Politics', Development, 47(2): 91-96.
- Collin J and Lee K (2003), Globalisation & Transborder Health Risk in the EU. Case Studies in Tobacco Control and Population Mobility, London: The Nuffield Trust.
- Collin J (2003), 'Think Global, Smoke Local: Transnational tobacco companies and cognitive globalisation'. In Lee K (ed.), Health impacts of globalization: towards global governance, Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, p. 61-85.
- Collin J (2002), 'Globalisation, the Tobacco Industry and Policy Influence'. In Varma AK (ed.), Tobacco Counters Health, Vol 2: Proceedings of the 2nd World Assembly on Tobacco Counters Health, New Delhi: Macmillan India Ltd, p. 39-50.
* A full list of publications can be found here.
If you are interested in being supervised by Jeff Collin, please see the links below for more information:
PhD in International Public Health Policy
This page was published on
9 December 2012